At least 5 mornings per week, I get to start off my day with this yummy and healthy and fresh smoothie, all because my mom gets up a little earlier than the rest of the household to make it for us. Thanks, Mom!
She let me photograph and blog the process! So, if you want to drink down some sunshine, here’s what you need to do.
(Recipe feeds 5 or 6 hungry people.)
1. Grab yourself some of this:
(We live in the middle of orange groves and our landlord (and friend!) lets us use as many oranges as we need. So that basically rocks.)
2. Chop that pineapple in half and cut it up!
3. Now you’re gonna want to juice some oranges. The ones we used were small-medium and we used about 6 just for juicing. Don’t forget to remove those seeds as best as you can!
4. Next, you’ll want to add some actual orange pieces to your blender. You can leave the white pith on the oranges – it’s really good for you and you can’t taste it at all in this smoothie! You will want to be sure to remove the entire peel, because it’s pretty bitter and may make your drink a little sketchy. So do ’em like this:
5. Put it all into a blender. (As a side note, we use a Vitamix and it is the most amazing thing in the world. Your smoothie is guaranteed 100% awesome if you use this blender. If you’re using something different than a Vitamix, sadly, the odds decrease to 99%. )
6. Do the blendy thing.
7. Add ice! As much as you like, really. If you use a little bit of ice, you’ll have more of a juice. I like mine more like a sorbet (ice cream for breakfast!) so I add lots and lots of ice. Our Vitamix handles that nicely. 🙂
8. Blend it up again – and there you have it.
Oh, and it’s killer. It really is like a sunny morning in your mouth! And we only used 3 ingredients! (As a side note, it’s also really yummy to add a teaspoon or two of vanilla.)
I like this breakfast so much, I made it into a .gif. Is that awkward or cute? I can’t decide.
It’s not even breakfast time and I think I’m going to make one.